Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On Saying Goodbye


          One of my friends who I got my certificate to teach English as a foreign language (TEFL) with sent me an e-mail this week and wanted to know how I felt. I had to pause for a moment because I have been so busy packing, preparing, and planning that I have (perhaps intentionally) pussyfooted around my feelings. What did I tell him? I told him I feel really, really excited; a tad nervous; a tad scatterbrained; and sometimes I feel sad about who and what I am leaving behind. 

            I have lived in the Florida Panhandle my whole life and being a Floridian, a northern Floridian, is part of who I am. I love traveling down to the Gulf’s numerous beaches from Mexico Beach to Seaside to St. George Island to Panama City Beach. I love tubing down the Chipola River, I love hiking in Torreya State Park and by Lake Talquin. I will miss places, and I will miss people. Ever since I have graduated in April I have been saying goodbye to my acquaintances, friends, and family. As a whole I take it in strides, but sometimes this process borders on being painful. Saying goodbye for a long time to those I love hurts.

            Most of my goodbyes have been very happy; some were in denial that I was actually leaving, a few teared up and started to cry which moved me deeply. I have yet to say my final goodbye to my parents and sister, and I am not sure I’m looking forward to that.

            Maybe goodbyes are always difficult no matter who you are or where you are from. I am sad about who and what I am leaving behind, but I am also excited about the new places and people that lay ahead. Wherever I go, though, my home comes with me in my heart. 

3 comments:

  1. My co-worker lent me a book written by her cousin: Getting Genki in Japan by Karen Pond. Her situation is a little a different since she is a mom w/3 kids living in Tokyo w/her husband who works for LLBean. Anyway some differences I noticed (since our time there in the mid90s) are cell phones w/camera and usage of gps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check it out; thank you for the heads up Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the tears folks are crying are because they are so blasted proud of and happy for you they can't express it any other way. You know they will miss you as much as you will miss them. Oh, the stories you will have to share.

    ReplyDelete