Thursday, August 16, 2012

Suit? Check! Omiyage? Check! A List of What I'm Taking to Japan


I am headed out of the U.S. to Japan on Monday. What will I be taking with me? Quite a spread, but I have tried to pack light. I have tried to list as much as possible with most interesting stuff coming first. Fill free to not read all of it—this is partly to help others who will be going to Japan. In all my OCD glory here are my lists:


Omiyage (Gifts to give upon arrival to people who have helped me out. They don’t have to be large or expensive and food is a popular option. Some of the bigger gifts I listed I will give out later on for New Years or other holidays)

r    2 signed Clyde Butcher “Apalachicola River” Books (Florida love)
r    1 Kissimmee Basin DVD (Documentary on Florida)
r    1 Big Cypress DVD (Another documentary on Florida)
r    Postcards from my aunt’s dairy farm
r    An FSU clickable pen that plays the fight song when you click it (an idea from my Japanese teacher; she said that would be a good gift)
r    An FSU name badge to give to the school nurse (don’t we all want to be on the nurse’s good side?)
r    750 ml. of Johnny Walker Black to give to the principal
r    Beef jerky
r    Butter cookies
r    Mint Milano cookies
r    Candy: Mini Cow Tails, Smarties, and Atkinson’s Peanut Butter Bars
r    Pens

Books/Reading Material

r    Genki I (Elementary Japanese textbook—Genki means “energetic”, a necessary virtue for taking Japanese, a challenging language!)
r    Genki II (For continued language learning)
r    Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig (hacking your mind to better remember the kanji which are Chinese characters—good stuff)
r    More Than a Native Speaker: An Introduction to Teaching English by Don Snow (This was my textbook for my TEFL class. A great intro book those goes over how to teach using the “communicative teaching style”)
r    New Journal
r    Children’s books: The Tailypo (truly a great ghost story—I’ll read it for Halloween), Chick Chicka Boom Boom, Curious George, and Oh, the Places You'll Go! (The latter three books where recommended to me by my bosses at FSU as their favorite books growing up)
r    Kindle (This was an EXCELLENT purchase and has saved me so much space with books. One of my friends who taught there for two years recommended it and I love it already)


Miscellaneous

r    1 Bottle Sunscreen
r    Toiletries (Don’t overstock on toothpaste: Japanese toothpaste DOES have fluoride to dispel the myths)
r    Important documents (International Drivers License, Passport, Health Insurance Card, etc.)
r    Backpack
r    Toiletry bag
r    Camera (get one with at least 10 megapixels and that shoots HD video. I promise that you won’t regret it)
r    iPhone (for music)
r    Nyquil/Dayquil (They don’t sell it there)
r    Stickers (preferably those with English on them; one of my friends who is a teacher over there said that Japanese stickers are AWESOME)
r    Handkerchief (sanitary reasons; public bathrooms rarely have paper towels)
r    Deodorant =3 (Japanese deodorant is not strong. See next item)
r    Cologne (not to too strong though; most Japanese don’t wear strong-scented perfumes)
r    El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix (Tex-Mex rice anyone?)
r    Electric Adapter (2 to 3 prong)
r    Contact lens solution (also expensive there)
r    2 small American flags (‘MURICA!)
r    8 ½ by 11 laminated photos of family, FSU football, Mt. McKinley, national flower (Rose), animals (deer, bald eagle, Florida panther), food (Key Lime Pie and Catfish Platter)
r    Rubber snake: It’s a souvenir to pass around to kids that is cute and fun
r    Cash/Coins to be handled by kids ($20 or less)
r    Daruma (My good luck porcelain doll from Japan)
r    2 sets of Chopsticks (both were gifts from friends in Japan)
r    Apron (from my mom; she bought it for me in France. Cooking in Japan is cheaper than going out)
r    1 large jar of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter (I love PB. It’s expensive in Japan. Mail me some anytime, and peace and glad tiding will reign in your family for generations to come)
r    Eye glass repair kit (Glasses break)
r    Nail clipper (Nails grow)
r    Blow dryer (Hair gets wet)
r    Leatherman Squirt (Things break)
r    MacBook Pro
r    Sony Headphones (I accidently washed them last week. Now I can only listen to songs with clean lyrics

   Clothing

r    Navy Blazer
r    Brown Blazer
r    Grey Suit
r    Underwear >7 pairs
r    New socks (good ones! No holes!)
r    Swim suit (I’m near Japan’s Golden Coast. Yeah!)
r    New Undershirts >7
r    Khaki pants >3
r    Dress shirts >6
r    Vests/Sweater Vests (Take many! It will help to hide the sweat in non air-conditioned classrooms. I’ll be as fly as an OSU coach…)
r    Ties >3
r    Rain Slicker
r    Slip-on indoor shoes (just a pair of shoes that are easy to put on that are for indoors only; I got a pair of nice Timberlanes)
r    Gym shoes
r    Outdoor shoes
r    Sandals (Flippy-floppys)
r    Dress shoes =2
r    Jackets >3
r    Toboggan
r    Scarf
r    Gloves
r    Beach towel

4 comments:

  1. Nic, thanks for posting your list. Good luck, travel safely and cherish every minute of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic,

    Your packing list was very much mine; except I could not bring a hair dryer due to the voltage difference. I still need to buy one here on the Norwegian side! Funny think about Norway (which I was not expecting) is that they LOVE frozen pizza, tacos, and spaghetti. Those are staples in everyones diet!

    I also have a book tablet; mine is a Nook but it is definitely the best thing since instant coffee, which has also become my best friend here! The grocery stores are much different here, which is still hard to get use to!

    Hope you have a safe trip! The one other thing I would tell you to invest in before you leave is an ethernet cord for internet, just incase you need one for your computer. I did, and did not bring it. Luckily my professor had an extra one. I was in Elkjop, the megastore here (same thing as Best Buy) and they are about 20 dollars here!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was later recommended to not take the hair dryer because it's bulky and easy to buy there. Is the food a lot different from the U.S.? Any weird stuff?

      Ooh--good idea on the ethernet cord!

      Delete